CHDOs: Community Housing Development Organizations
These files contain an overview of community housing development organizations (CHDOs), how to form a CHDO, sample forms, and other relevant materials and links.
- What is a CHDO and How Does an Organization Become One?This document provides an overview of community development housing organizations and how to form one.
- The HOME Program Overview of Leasing RestrictionsThis memo provides an overview of lease restrictions under the HOME program.
- Application for CHDO Property Tax ExemptionThis document is the form used to apply for a CHDO property tax exemption. The property must have been previously exempt in 2003 to apply under this section.
- Supplemental Application for CHDO Property Tax ExemptionThis document is the form used to apply for a supplemental CHDO tax exemption. The property must have been previously exempt in 2003 to apply
under this section. This is also the form to notify the appraisal district if the nonprofit organization has sold the property.
- Audit for CHDO Tax ExemptionsLegal Alert for new law taking effect on January 1, 2004 requiring property owners with an ad valorem tax exemption under Section 11.182 of the Texas
Tax Code to comply with certain audit guidelines.
- Recent Changes To Texas Legislation Affect Nonprofit Organizations Constructing and Rehabilitating Affordable Housing: August 2003The memo describes the new law, House Bill 3546, which takes effect on January 1, 2004, and the manner by which an entity qualifies for the
constructing or rehabilitating low-income housing property tax exemption.
- Application for Charitable Organizations Improving Property for Low-Income Housing Property Tax ExemptionThis document is the form to be used by affordable housing providers who use volunteer labor to construct or rehabilate property.
- Application for Constructing or Rehabilitating Low-Income Housing Property Tax ExemptionThis document is the form to be used by affordable housing providers to apply for a 50% tax exemption. The property must have been acquired
by the organization after January 1, 2004. Granting the exemption is optional for taxing jurisdictions in Dallas, Harris, and Tarrant Counties.
Organizations constructing housing should also fill out Schedule A and organizations rehabilitating housing should fill out Schedule B.
- Lease Agreement Addendum for CDBG and Home PropertiesThis document is a sample landlord-tenant lease agreement for CHDOs using government-funded programs.
Jurisdictions that Certify CHDOs